Business Development Manager - [Archived Advertisement]
Business Development Manager
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Build partnerships to support & enable the delivery of science outcomes
- Join a great team in a flexible/hybrid working environment
- Create commercial impact for CSIRO’s Data61 Business Unit
CSIRO has a rewarding opportunity for two experienced Business Development (BD) Managers to play pivotal roles supporting CSIRO’s Data61 Business Unit (BU).
You will work in partnership with our science community to support and enable the effective delivery of science outcomes through external engagement, including market validation, managing the customer engagement process, opportunity development and pipeline build, business model development, and delivering strategic partnership and commercial outcomes.
Your duties will include:
- Working with science teams to continue to build and maintain an up-to-date pipeline of industry engagement and commercial opportunities, ensuring accurate forecasting and rigorous follow-up to drive achievement of science impact and revenue targets.
- Developing and managing?a portfolio of industry, Government (State and Federal) and external stakeholder relationships aligned to the BU and CSIRO’s strategy, business plans, commercialisation and impact objectives.
- Leading, coordinating and closing large and complex R&D programs of national significance across CSIRO with multiple partners aligned to the Data61 BU and CSIRO strategy.
- Developing a strong knowledge of both Data61 BU and CSIRO strategies, policies, processes, systems, and tools that are relevant to BD. Using?this knowledge to champion their application in areas such as strategy and program development, operational planning, governance, and pipeline management.
- Striving?to continuously gain deeper insight into the relevant industry digital, data and emerging technology sector, its needs, pain points, and emerging opportunities. Using?this knowledge to help shape CSIRO’s engagement with our stakeholders and customers to guide BD and commercial outcomes.
- Proactively creating?a portfolio of ‘trusted advisor’ relationships with key internal stakeholders and utilising?these relationships to support BD activities and objectives.
- Other duties as required.
Location: Canberra, Brisbane, Melbourne or Sydney preferred; other major cities may be considered.
Salary: Competitive salary on offer
Tenure: Indefinite, Full-time
To be considered you will need:
- Tertiary qualifications in a relevant area, such as Science, Business, or Management; or equivalent management/leadership
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills, including experience working with science and commercial staff, developing presentations, proposals and tenders, and a proven ability to work with and influence different stakeholders in a team environment.
- More than 5 years industry experience, including strong relationships with the data and digital sector and proven relationship building with SMEs, multi-national companies and R&D providers.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, co-design and coordinate commercially focused programs of work across CSIRO research teams, national R&D providers, federal and state governments and data, digital and emerging technology partners.?
- A history of growing and converting a high-quality opportunity pipeline through the development and implementation of a business development strategy that strongly aligns with CSIRO strategy.
- Strong problem solving skills, flexibility in thinking, including the ability to anticipate, manage and develop appropriate solutions to complex problems, effectively manage ambiguity and readily adapt to changing circumstances.?
- Demonstrated experience in providing BD leadership, developing strategy and delivering beneficial growth and change for organisations.
- Experience in digital services industry or digital agriculture industry.
- Experience with business model development (lean canvas, business model canvas), commercialisation pathways, innovation or technology deployment.
- Previous experience with CRM, specifically Microsoft Dynamics.
- Previous success in commercialisation of R&D into a commercial product, preferably including engagement with venture capital partners.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens and Australian Permanent Residents. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
4th December 2022, 11:00pm AEDT.
- Closing Date:
- 04 Dec 2022
- Competitive salary on offer
- Work Type: