Science Leader - In Advanced Ex Vivo Biosystems - [Archived Advertisement]
Science Leader - In Advanced Ex Vivo Biosystems
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Grow your own team and research program to deliver impact in infectious disease research
- Advance the development, adaptation and deployment of advanced ex vivo biosystems
- Join CSIRO and translate science to industry impact as part of a global research business
At CSIRO, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology by harnessing the incredible intellectual power and expertise of our people, collaborators and partners. CSIRO’s Science Leader program attracts the best researchers from across the globe to deliver outstanding translational science and engineering impact and captures new capability into areas which have been identified as strategic, to assist our business units to manage and develop their capability for the future.
The Science Leader will contribute to CSIRO’s strategy through both scientific excellence and the translation of research outcomes into impact. They will have the opportunity to shape and grow their own research team and develop their research program with generous operating funds.
The Science Leader in Advanced Ex Vivo Biosystems will be responsible for building and leading a robust, innovative research program focussed on applying advanced ex vivo model biosystems to answer key challenges in infectious disease research. Ex vivo models adopt recent developments in 3D tissue culture, stem cell technology, automation, micro and nano fabrication to replicate disease pathogenesis. The Science Leader will specialise in the development of disease agnostic models for a range of livestock, aquatic and wildlife species.
These ex vivo models will be used to improve understanding of pathogenesis and immune responses for a broad range of diseases, with a specific focus on diseases of high consequence and increasing concern to Australia’s agricultural and aquatic industries, such as African swine fever, Lumpy skin disease and African horse sickness. The development of ex vivo models and techniques will support vaccine and drug development programs at CSIRO. Applications to human disease research will also be encouraged.
Your duties will include:
- Lead the development of ex vivo techniques which include primary tissue and stem cell culture by developing defined, repeatable and scalable laboratory models that are disease-relevant and useful for health and disease interrogations.
- Plan, manage and critically assess the development of advanced tissue – representative 2D and 3D culture systems in the context of infectious disease studies and within strict biosafety and biosecurity regulations at Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness (ACDP).
- Collaborate with, supervise and train post-doctoral fellows, research scientists and technical staff for the purposes of capability delivery to research projects within CSIRO, leveraging skills and capabilities to complement each other.
- Advise research and diagnostic staff in the implementation of novel ex vivo and stem cell systems to project requirements.
- Provide experience and expertise in cell biology and connect CSIRO scientists with active networks in one or more biomaterials science, synthetic biology, infectious diseases, data integration, and imaging systems through strategic collaborative partnerships.
- Facilitate the translation of human ex vivo systems into animal-based systems.
- Take a leadership role in fostering cross-organisational collaborations in ex vivo model development that span the animal-human disease continuum.
Location: Geelong, Victoria
Salary: Attractive salary package offered
Tenure: Indefinite, with the initial program of work being 5 years
To be considered you will need:
- Relevant postgraduate qualifications and established knowledge and expertise in cell biology or related field;
- Be recognised by their peers as making a significant contribution in their field of science or engineering;
- Have a track record of translating scientific outcomes into impact;
- Demonstrate the ability to collaborate at the intersection of disciplines;
- Bring an extensive network which you can actively share across the whole organisation, engaging and satisfying multiple stakeholders; and
- Have the ability to mentor a team of talented postdoctoral fellows and postgraduate students and attract distinguished visiting researchers.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description.
Applications for this position are open to Australian and International applicants.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national security clearance. Additionally, a medical clearance and certain vaccination requirements are necessary to work at this site. Please see the Position Description for further details.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
7 August 2022, 11:00pm AEST/AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 07 Aug 2022
- VIC - Geelong
- Attractive salary package offered
- Work Type:
- Full Time
Health & Medical