Senior Research Engineer - Hydrogen Systems Integration
Senior Research Engineer - Hydrogen Systems Integration
- Use your hydrogen or other energy storage technology expertise
- Oversee the installation and commissioning of a hydrogen refuelling system
- Join CSIRO Energy and make a difference!
CSIRO is seeking to recruit a Research Engineer with experience in the development, integration and demonstration of hydrogen processes and technologies to join our hydrogen research group. Working as part of CSIRO’s Hydrogen Industry Mission, you will join our Energy Business Unit which has a strategic focus on delivering research and development to support Australia’s Energy transition to net zero emissions.
As the successful candidate, your first priority will be to oversee the hands-on installation and commissioning of a hydrogen refuelling system at the Hydrogen Technology Demonstration Facility (HTDF), which will form a key component of the $10m Victorian Hydrogen Hub (VH2) collaboration with Swinburne University of Technology. Engagement with external collaborators to develop further hydrogen technology demonstration projects associated with the facility will be a subsequent priority, as will involvement in the management and support for the Centre for Hybrid Energy Systems (CHES), which is also located at CSIRO Clayton.
To be successful, you will need to have strong industry engagement experience and a track record of R&D in hydrogen or other energy storage technologies.
This role is offered on a full-time or part-time (minimum 0.8 FTE) basis.
Your duties will include:
- Implementation of the operational phase of the Hydrogen refuelling system at the HTDF.
- Technical management of the design, procurement, build, installation and commissioning of hydrogen and other energy storage technology demonstration scale projects.
- Development of funding opportunities through hydrogen tech demo partnerships such as the Victorian Hydrogen Hub (VH2) utilising both the HTDF and the CHES.
- Effective management and delivery of these large projects on time and on budget to the satisfaction of the internal and external stakeholders.
- Collaboration within CSIRO, including the Hydrogen Mission, the Hydrogen Future Science Platform and the Towards Net Zero Mission.
Location: Melbourne (Clayton) VIC
Salary: *CSOF6 AU$115k – AU135k (pro-rata for part-time) plus up to 15.4% superannuation
*CSOF7 AU139k – AU$153k (pro-rata for part-time) plus up to 15.4% superannuation
*NB: This position is offered across two levels, the appointment level will be determined by the qualifications, skills and relevant experience of the successful candidate
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD (or an equivalent combination of qualifications and research experience) in a relevant field such as Chemical Engineering or Process Engineering.
- Demonstrated practical experience in process flow sheeting and high temperature/pressure systems and industrial processes.
- A track record of R&D in hydrogen or other energy storage technologies.
- A track record of developing and delivering large client-focussed research projects, demonstrating well-developed project leadership and management skills.
- A history of working effectively in multidisciplinary teams with technical goals.
- Evidence of the development of an external industry or collaborative professional network (e.g. participation on advisory groups, technical committees, etc.).
- The ability to undertake original, creative and innovative research by generating and pursuing novel ideas and solutions to scientific research problems.
- Excellent communication skills and a demonstrated publication history of authorship on scientific papers in peer reviewed journals, reports, grant applications or inventorship on patent applications.
For appointment at the higher salary level (CSOF7), as well as satisfying the criteria listed above, you must also have:
- Experience in solving major conceptual scientific, technical, commercial or management problems, which have a significant impact upon the field of research or professional function.
- Experience in developing and delivering large research programs, ideally related to the field of hydrogen, other hydrogen carriers, and battery storage technologies.
- Leadership skills to foster an environment that encourages new ideas and provides support for the development of emerging skills and technologies of multidisciplinary and spatially isolated teams.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
To be considered for this position, you must be an Australian/New Zealand Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa (visa sponsorship may be offered to eligible candidates)
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
7 November 2021, 11:00pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 07 Nov 2021
- VIC - Clayton
- *CSOF6 AU$115k – AU135k;*CSOF7 AU139k – AU$153k (pro-rata for part-time) plus up to 15.4% super
- Work Type:
- Full Time/ Part Time