Job no: 0057829
Role type: Full time; Fixed term for 5 years
Department/School: Doherty Institute
- The Cumming Global Centre for Pandemic Therapeutics
- As we establish the new Centre, a key leadership role is essential to ensure its success.
- Preparations for enhancing global resilience and preparedness for upcoming pandemics.
The Peter Doherty Institute for Infection and Immunity is creating a new global research centre called the Cumming Global Centre for Pandemic Therapeutics. The primary objective of this centre is to enhance the resilience of societies worldwide in managing future pandemics through the development of new therapeutics.
For more information: https://www.unimelb.edu.au/newsroom/news/2022/august/global-pandemic-therapeutics-centre-announced-in-melbourne
About the Role
The Peter Doherty Institute for Infection and Immunity (Doherty Institute) is seeking an exceptional and visionary leader for the position of Director—Strategy & Operations, of the Cumming Global Centre for Pandemic Therapeutics (the Centre). The Centre will focus on a new global-scale research program with the mission to develop therapeutics for pathogens of pandemic potential.
Working closely with the Centre Director, this position will be responsible for ensuring the efficient operation of the Centre, which includes overseeing governance, legal and financial processes, and risk management. The University of Melbourne's structures and systems will provide support to facilitate these tasks.
You will be expected to establish an operating model for the Centre, including the establishment of the Governance Board and Investor Council, development of funding mechanisms, and all components of the Centre.
Full responsibilities of the role can be found in the attached position description.
You will have extensive experience in the design, development, and implementation of operating systems across multiple functions such as contract management, funds distribution, workforce planning and development, physical infrastructure planning and development, and business development.
You will possess.
- A qualification in Business Management, Executive Leadership (postgraduate desirable) and/or other relevant qualifications and/or experience in a similar role.
- Strategic decision making and executive operational experience in complex environments.
- Excellent political nous, entrepreneurial, negotiation and leadership skills.
Full selection criteria of the role can be found in the attached position description.
The Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences
The Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry & Health Sciences has an enviable research record and is the University of Melbourne’s largest faculty in terms of management of financial resources, employment of academic and professional staff, teaching of undergraduate and postgraduate (including research higher degree) students and the conduct of basic and applied research. The faculty’s annual revenue is $628m with approximately 55% of this income related to research activities. http://mdhs.unimelb.edu.au
Benefits of Working with Us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and be challenged, and to be part of a vibrant campus life, our people enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements, generous personal, parental, and cultural leave
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary packaging and leave loading.
- Free and subsidised health and wellbeing services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services including Myki cards and Qantas Club
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
To find out more, visit https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits.
If you feel this role is right for you, please apply with your CV and cover letter outlining your interest and related experience. Please note that you are not required to provide responses against the selection criteria.
Applications close: Friday 23 June 11:55PM AEST AUS Eastern Standard Time