Development Specialist - [Archived Advertisement]
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Bring research skills and systems thinking to work on agriculture and food priorities in Asia and the Indo - Pacific
- Co-design, collaborate, pilot and evaluate context-specific innovations and practices
- Flexible work arrangements! A mix of home and office
CSIRO’s Agriculture and Food research from gene to plate increases productivity and efficiencies at the farm level, improving the quality and yield of Australian crops, developing innovative food processing technologies, creating new value-added foods, and growing the nation’s livestock, aquaculture and fishery industries. Our partnerships overseas address food systems challenges and foster a shared vision to create positive economic, environmental, and social impact.
As a Development Specialist, you will identify, leverage and co-design development-ready opportunities to take agri-food research into use in the Asia-Pacific region. The role will work closely and collaboratively with partners, regional agencies, funders and their networks and will play a critical connecting role between research contexts and development and regional drivers.
Strong communication, negotiation and diplomacy skills and an ability to work effectively in complex, dynamic and sometimes undefined circumstances will be critical to the role’s success. Prior experience and/or working knowledge of relevant Australian Government agencies working on agriculture and food issues in the Asia-Pacific region will set you up for success in this role. This is a Canberra-based position however, we are open to considering applicants with relevant skillsets outside Canberra who are willing to frequently travel for work to Canberra.
Your duties will include:
- Proactively engage with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders, building effective working relationships and representing agri-food research projects, portfolios and potential at relevant Australian and regional fora.
- Designing, facilitating and/or supporting critical reflection activities for complex systems research.
- Understanding of adoption and decision-making to co-create pathways for diverse research outcomes and impact.
- Contribute to the planning, delivery and monitoring of project tasks and deliverables
- Translating research activities, outputs and outcomes into technical reports, scientific publications, practice briefs, policy briefs and/or presentations and discussions
- Applying effective negotiation, brokering and facilitation skills to support cohesive and inclusive project and team environments.
Location: Canberra ACT preferred, however open to outside Canberra provided open to travel frequently for work to Canberra
Salary: AU$121k - AU$142k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years / Full - time
To be considered you will need:
- A degree or relevant experience in international or community/rural development studies, social or economic science, political economy, international or social policy.
- Demonstrated experience and/or prior working knowledge of relevant Australian Government agencies working on agriculture and food issues in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Working knowledge of contemporary challenges facing sustainable development in the Asia-Pacific region (including Australia).
- Advanced communication skills, including facilitation, written and oral communication, relationship building and/or translation of scientific research to non-science audiences.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description.
Applications for this position are open to Australian/ New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents and Australian Temporary Residents with full working rights for the duration of the contract without requiring visa sponsorship support from CSIRO.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
24 September 2023, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 24 Sep 2023
- ACT - Canberra
- AU$121k - AU$142k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: