Associate Director, Strategy Consulting - Mineral Resources and Processing - [Archived Advertisement]
Associate Director, Strategy Consulting - Mineral Resources and Processing
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
CSIRO is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people involved in our activities and programs. View our Child Safe Policy.
- Oversee the delivery of highly influential national-scale industry roadmaps, technology strategies and technology scans focussed on mineral resources and processing sectors
- Identify growth opportunities in the mineral resources and processing industry, and develop strategies that help Australian leaders act
- Hybrid work arrangements (home and office), achieve the work-life-balance you are searching for!
CSIRO Futures is the strategic and economic advisory arm of Australia's national science organisation. We are Australia's leading advisor on emerging technology-based growth opportunities. We're the team behind the Australian National Outlook and CSIRO's industry roadmaps series. We've also worked with many of Australia's largest companies as well as state and Commonwealth governments.
The three core areas of work include:
- Strategy: Thought leadership or strategy development to enable growth in an existing or emerging industry.
- Economic analysis: To inform growth and technology investments by considering market opportunity size, current and future technology costs, key cost drivers and uncertainties.
- Technology scans: To address key business and innovation challenges by assessing technology options and associated risks, technology and commercial readiness, and capability and research and development hurdles.
The global mineral resources and processing sectors are undergoing significant transformation with many opportunities underpinned or supported by emerging science and technology. Over the past decade, CSIRO Futures has been actively involved in projects that have helped shape the national discussion. This includes positioning Australia to seize opportunities in the energy transition, respond to critical mineral demand, and support the development of a thriving Australian mining, equipment, technology and services (METS) sector.
As the Associate Director, you will set the direction for the team and oversee the delivery of national-scale industry roadmaps, technology strategies and technology scans focussed on mineral resources and processing sectors. Drawing on CSIRO’s world leading experts, you will advise decision makers as they develop strategies to use science and technology to transform existing industries and create new triple bottom line opportunities for Australia. The role is part of the CSIRO Futures leadership team, helping to support its continued growth and development, direct and create greater opportunities for national impact, and supporting the professional and personal development of the team.
Your duties will include:
- Sector Leadership
- Lead the development of the CSIRO Futures Mineral Resources and Processing sector strategy working in collaboration with CSIRO Minerals and Manufacturing Business Unit leaders, CSIRO Corporate Strategy team and selected customers.
- Develop the project pipeline, leading the identification of customers and opportunities and proposal development in collaboration with CSIRO leaders.
- Contribute to the scoping and delivery of multiple national-scale roadmaps and strategic advisory projects across the Mineral Resources and Processing portfolio, working closely with managers and project teams (typically 2 – 5 people).
- Provide project quality assurance and direction setting of major reports and projects, including shaping their overall narratives and ensuring their conclusions are based on robust evidence.
- Liaise with CSIRO and external customers to determine their needs, tailoring solutions to potentially conflicting requirements, taking personal responsibility for customer satisfaction, and correcting problems promptly and in a constructive manner.
- Practice Management
- Contribute to team growth and development: guiding and supporting activities related to team culture, strategy, resource allocation and development, and providing other day-to-day team leadership support and guidance.
- Line management: performing line management responsibilities for 2-4 team members, ensuring their development to achieve CSIRO Futures goals. Informally coach/mentor other team members where appropriate.
- Oversee a practice management domain: setting direction, tracking activities and guiding team effort across a practice management domain (e.g. learning and development, global engagement, impact tracking or marketing). This domain will be selected with consideration of the preferred candidates’ interest and in collaboration with the Futures leadership team.
Location: Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane or Perth can be considered
Salary: AU$146k – AU$161k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- Undergraduate qualifications in science, engineering, business, finance or economics or a related field that includes a significant analytical component.
- Experience leading strategy consulting projects for mineral resources and processing sectors working within the industry in a technology or strategy related role.
- Broad understanding of future trends, opportunities and challenges facing the mineral resources sector, such as critical minerals value chains, sustainability and decarbonisation.
- Experience in autonomously leading people and teams on strategic management consulting projects focused on the mineral resources and processing sectors that include the gathering, evaluation, analysis and synthesis of a broad range of information to develop robust insights and input into strategic decision making.
- Experience developing people and capabilities and prompting a positive working culture and team environment.
- Experience in generating professional quality client-facing written reports and deliverables that clearly communicate analysis and key insights.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents or you must either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa for the duration of the specified term. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
CSIRO is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people involved in our activities and programs, whether we are undertaking research, engaging with the public or nurturing future scientists in person or online. Source – CSIRO Child Safe policy 2023
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
31 May 2023, 11:00pm AEST/AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 31 May 2023
- AU$146k – AU$161k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
Consulting, Strategy & Planning
Mining & Resources