CSIRO Publishing Program Director
CSIRO Publishing Program Director
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
CSIRO is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people involved in our activities and programs. View our Child Safe Policy.
- Lead CSIRO Publishing - Australia's foremost publisher of quality scientific, technical and health journals, books, and magazines!
- Set vision, strategy, and direction for CSIRO’s publishing offering at a pivotal moment in the history of scientific publishing
- Sustain and build our outstanding reputation for quality and integrity engaging and fostering relationships internally and externally
CSIRO Publishing is an editorially independent publisher and is Australia's leading publisher of quality scientific, technical and health journals, books, and magazines. Our internationally recognised program covers a wide range of disciplines, including agriculture, plant and animal sciences, chemistry, health and the environmental science.
As the Director, you will set the strategic direction, lead the team and manage resources to further develop and position CSIRO’s publishing offering to deliver impact in line with CSIRO strategy. You will foster engagement and commercial relationships, identify/develop new opportunities and inspire a professional, customer focussed team to unlock their full potential.
Your duties will include:
- Strategic leadership of the Publishing business – identify and set the strategic direction for the business with responsibility to secure and manage resources to deliver on strategy whilst managing risks – strategically position CSIRO through the publishing offering and align publishing team activity with CSIRO strategy.
- Business and commercial leadership - Manage engagement and commercial relationships with the publishing sector, government, and industry. Manage the business – secure resources and efficient allocation of resources to deliver value. Identify and exploit opportunities of strategic significance, including the development of new business and negotiating complex deals for new and developing programs.
- Deliver on commitments through:
- leadership and development of a high performing team which is professional, customer focused and aligned to strategy. Foster innovation in the team and a culture where staff can reach their full potential, undertaking coaching, mentoring and development, performance management and issues management.
- management of risk of operations including compliance with legal and statutory responsibilities.
- Build collaborative stakeholder networks -– engage with internal and external stakeholders to build and maintain extensive networks, position CSIRO’s publishing offering, secure support and resources to deliver impact.
- Contribute to CSIRO - as a member of CSIRO Science Connect Leadership Team, lead cross-functional task forces/policy bodies and committees to provide and gain a broader corporate perspective.
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Salary: Attractive package plus up to 15.4% superannuation (visa sponsorship and generous relocation package offered if required)
Tenure: Specified term of 4 years
To be considered you will need:
- Deep knowledge and experience in the publishing industry.
- Demonstrated ability provide high level strategic leadership, encompassing innovative strategic planning and implementation, risk management and effective resource management aligned to strategy.
- Proven ability to lead transformational change and create a culture that encourages new ideas, fosters innovative problem solving, continuous improvement and knowledge sharing.
- Demonstrated commercial skills, business acumen and experience with the management of a multi-million dollar budget.
- A strong record of leadership and management of high-performance teams.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain high trust, respected and collaborative working relationships across a wide range of disciplines at all levels of the organisation and with external stakeholders.
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in Publishing, Science or Business.
- Experience working in a scientific or research organisation and delivering large-scale programs is desirable.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian and international candidates. Visa sponsorship may be provided if required. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
CSIRO is Australia’s National Science Agency and is one of the world’s largest and most successful publicly funded research and development organisations. We deliver world-class science and outcome-focused research that generates economic, environmental, and social benefits for Australia in a global context. We have improved the lives of many around the world through our research and developments including WiFi, the Hendra virus vaccine, polymer banknotes, extended wear contact lenses, Aerogard and the Total Wellbeing Diet.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
CSIRO is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people involved in our activities and programs, whether we are undertaking research, engaging with the public or nurturing future scientists in person or online. Source – CSIRO Child Safe policy 2023
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
Please apply directly at https://www.morganhealey.com/jobs/director-csiro-publishing/
Enquiries should be directed to James at Morgan Healey on email@example.com
11 June 2023, 11:00pm AEST/AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 11 Jun 2023
- VIC - Melbourne
- Attractive package plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time
Communications, Engagement & Facilitation