Director CSIRO Energy - [Archived Advertisement]
Director CSIRO Energy
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Lead the CSIRO Energy to develop and deliver science and technology solutions that enable the Australia’s energy transition
- Apply your entrepreneurial and collaborative leadership to help drive CSIRO’s research strategy
- Join Australia’s innovation catalyst! Create impact that benefits the lives of all Australians
CSIRO is Australia’s National Science Agency and is one of the world’s largest and most successful publicly funded research and development organisations. We deliver world-class science and outcome-focused research that generates economic, environmental, and social benefits for Australia in a global context. We have improved the lives of many around the world through our research and developments including WiFi, the Hendra virus vaccine, polymer banknotes, extended wear contact lenses, Aerogard and the Total Wellbeing Diet.
As Australia’s energy transition catalyst CSIRO’s Energy Business Unit aims to deliver science and technology solutions that will enhance Australia’s economic competitiveness and regional energy security – while enabling the transition to a net zero emissions future. We will enable Australia’s energy transition to a net zero emissions through increased investment and capability in renewables, storage, systems analysis and integration, and digital energy technologies.
The role of Director, CSIRO Energy presents a significant opportunity to play a lead role in Australia’s energy transition, creating impact within Australia and across the globe. The Director will be a highly collaborative and visionary leader with experience in managing portfolios of projects and people within the research and development domain. They will have a deep understanding of the Energy market with a track record in driving research strategy that supports industry and government.
Your duties will include:
- Strategic leadership: Be an active member of CSIRO’s leadership team; deliver world-class R&D; build on the team's success, oversee and implement the Energy Strategy; and lead the business unit to realise its science vision in partnership with stakeholders and science partners.
- Capability leadership: lead approx. 400 staff, students and affiliates to deliver science innovation and impact for Australia; attract, develop and retain world class talent that will meet current and future needs; and empower staff with the autonomy to pursue innovative science and technology that encourages the creative exchange of ideas.
- Engagement and partnerships: drive commercial outcomes through the transfer of research and technology into commercial and societal benefits; develop and maintain strategic relationships with stakeholders, clients and partners to ensure alignment of the business unit's activities with the needs of the nation; and provide trusted advice to government, industry and the community.
- Resource Leadership: lead and manage the business unit's people, financial resources, infrastructure and research assets to ensure their effective and efficient use; and secure a pipeline of opportunities aligned with national priorities that delivers a sustainable financial future.
Location: Melbourne, VIC, Brisbane, QLD or Newcastle, NSW are preferred however other locations may be considered
Salary: An attractive remuneration package will be offered including up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- Established credibility and respect in the Energy domain with evidence of effective leadership of a world-class research capability commensurate with the scale of the Energy business unit. Postgraduate qualification in relevant field is desirable.
- Evidence of strong engagement skills and strategic relationship management that facilitates creation of impact and growth opportunities, drives commercial outcomes, and delivers national impact.
- Demonstrated ability to attract, retain, empower and develop world-class talent and to promote well-being, diversity and foster creativity and innovation.
- Demonstrated track record in leading a complex, multi-site and large-scale operation including managing financial and physical resources and creating a safe and healthy workplace.
- Established track record of building, driving and embedding cultural change and effective change management.
- Strong leadership skills that demonstrate the ability to unite, align and motivate disparate groups.
- Values and behaviours are exemplary, and actively promotes cross-organisation collaboration.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents or you must already hold a valid working visa for the duration of the specified term. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
26 March 2023, 11:00pm AEST/AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 26 Mar 2023
- An attractive remuneration package will be offered
- Work Type: