Director Quantum Technologies Future Science Platform - [Archived Advertisement]
Director Quantum Technologies Future Science Platform
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Strategic, leadership role to develop and promote Quantum technologies on a national and global scale
- Significant opportunity to contribute to CSIRO strategy, expand and strengthen our position in the Quantum ecosystem
- Join CSIRO and translate science to industry impact as part of a global research business
CSIRO is Australia’s National Science Agency and is one of the world’s largest and most successful publicly funded research and development organisations. We deliver world-class science and outcome-focused research that generates economic, environmental, and social benefits for Australia in a global context. We have improved the lives of many around the world through our research and developments including WiFi, the Hendra virus vaccine, polymer banknotes, extended wear contact lenses, Aerogard and the Total Wellbeing Diet.
Australia is a vital player in the global quantum technology sector, with world-class expertise and research capabilities developed through over two decades of sustained investment in academic research. This foundational research is now enabling the growth of exciting new start-ups and ventures, that are developing and commercialising diverse offerings including quantum enhanced cybersecurity solutions, quantum computing technologies, precision timing solutions, enabling technologies that support quantum technology development and more.
CSIRO’s Manufacturing Business Unit seeks to appoint a Future Science Platform (FSP) Director in Quantum Technologies. CSIRO’s recently revised roadmap Growing Australia’s Quantum Technology Industry forecasts that $6b in revenue and 19,000 new jobs could be generated in Australia by 2045. Many sectors will benefit from quantum technologies including healthcare and medicine, natural resources, financial services and defence.
The Director of the Quantum Technologies FSP will set the vision, strategy and lead a program of research to develop future science capability aligned with the strategies of contributing CSIRO business units. They will be responsible for project portfolio in Quantum technology that includes projects in quantum computation, quantum sensing, quantum communication and quantum biotechnology. The role spans all of CSIRO and currently includes more than 30 researchers and growing. The role will generate impact through facilitating the strategic development of organisational capability in partnership with industry, government, and the Australian and international innovation system.
This is an exciting opportunity to lead and support cutting edge quantum technology development to achieve national and global impact.
Your duties will include:
- Impact Science Leadership: provide leadership for CSIRO’s Quantum Technologies FSP to generate significant impact for the economy, society and/or the environment; in consultation with stakeholders, review and refine the R&D strategy for the FSP; and develop and manage a portfolio of research projects to deliver capabilities and IP.
- Capability Leadership: build effective teams, support career development for staff and implement succession planning; lead, coach and supervise a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, to ensure that the FSP program is delivered in accordance with key performance indicators, agreed timelines and budget; and attract, develop and retain world class talent which will meet current and future needs of CSIRO.
- Engagement & Partnership: build strategic relationships through engagement with the domestic and international quantum technologies ecosystem including industry, academia and government; and produce or support the production of high quality scientific papers suitable for publication in quality journals and for presentation at national and international conferences.
- Resource Leadership: Lead and manage the Program’s financial resources, people, infrastructure and other assets to ensure their effective and efficient use; ensure best practice governance and management of commercial activities and intellectual property, manage financial performance and delivery against milestones and quality standards; and contribute to the development of science plans for future infrastructure.
Location: Clayton – Melbourne or Lindfield – Sydney
Salary: Attractive package offered including up to 15.4% super
Tenure: Indefinite appointment with an initial program of work having a 3 year allocation
To be considered you will need:
- A postgraduate qualification or equivalent in science or engineering in a field relevant to Quantum Technologies combined with significant experience in at least one of the Quantum Technologies FSP focus areas from experience gained in R&D and/or industry.
- International reputation and credibility underpinned by science excellence, creativity, innovation and flexibility.
- Evidence of successful initiation, development and leadership of large, complex R&D projects or activities.
- Evidence of strong engagement skills and strategic relationship management that grows new research partnerships and opportunities for future outcomes.
- Demonstrated track record in leading a complex, multi-site business including managing financial and physical resources and creating a safe and healthy workplace.
- Strong leadership skills that demonstrate the ability to unite capability and to promote cross-organisational collaboration to transform CSIRO’s delivery to national and international challenges in the manufacturing domain.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of global trends in the relevant global market.
For more information please view the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens and Australian Permanent Residents. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
16 April, 2023, 11:00pm AEST/AEDT.
We encourage early applications as we reserve the right to close the advertising early if we find our desired candidate.
- Closing Date:
- 16 Apr 2023
- Attractive package offered including up to 15.4% super
- Work Type:
- Full Time
Manufacturing & Operations