Research Scientist - Next Horizon Geophysicist - [Archived Advertisement]
Research Scientist - Next Horizon Geophysicist
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Join CSIRO Mineral Resources Discovery program to drive innovation in geophysics and translate research outputs to industry impact
- Focus on integrating geophysical sensing technologies and datasets across scales to solve mineral exploration challenges
- Opportunity to mentor our next generation of geophysicists and contribute to future research direction
CSIRO Mineral Resources (CMR) is one of the largest minerals research and development groups globally, with a proud track record in delivering innovation and solutions across the mineral resources value chain. We thrive on innovation harnessed by the diversity of the minds and lived experiences of our team and apply our expert knowledge and specialised research to provide innovation that solves the complex problems faced by minerals companies, mining equipment, technology, and services (METS) companies, government, and other industry stakeholders. The CMR Discovery Program aims to be a truly diverse team that reflects the diversity that we see in society, and comprises an enthusiastic multidisciplinary team of STEM researchers, all focused on developing new technologies and concepts for exploration through cover and advancing orebody knowledge.
As the Next Horizon Geophysicist, you will provide a focus on integrating deep geophysical sensing technologies in exploration. You will develop, manage, and deliver projects which integrate across a range of geophysical datasets, with a focus on those sensitive to depth, such as magnetotellurics, seismics, and gravity. You will use these data along with those from shallower sensing geophysical methods such as EM, knowledge of borehole technology, and familiarity with petrophysics to develop geophysical and geological interpretations of the subsurface. You will be responsible for communicating project outcomes and research plans internally and externally and will act as a mentor and trainer of the ‘next generation’ of geophysicists within the Business Unit.
Your duties will include:
- Set project goals within the Business Unit’s research direction and manage the delivery of project outcomes.
- Undertake leading edge scientific research and maintain active research collaborations in order to access/share leading edge concepts and technology to advance project goals.
- Progress complex, sensitive or contentious research matters to finality.
- Lead the strategic research component of projects, contribute original ideas and concepts, and determine the most appropriate strategies to achieve project goals.
- Be recognised as a national authority in an area of expertise, such as magnetotellurics, seismics or gravity, and typically possess knowledge across a range of scientific disciplines.
- Within the relevant area of work, anticipate, plan (including long term/strategic planning) and implement change.
- Other duties as directed
Location: Kensington, Perth, WA
Salary: AU$141k to AU$157k pa + up to 15.4% super
Tenure: 3 year specified term
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD (or an equivalent combination of qualifications and research experience), in a field of research appropriate to geophysics. Recent industry and/or academic experience in a research or innovation role is required.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and delivering original, creative, and innovative research by generating and pursuing novel ideas and solutions in geophysics and providing significant impact to the mineral exploration sector.
- A strong record of quality publications in peer reviewed journals and/or reports, and presentations at international and national conferences.
- Demonstrated leadership in the field, through leading teams, or teaching.
- Proven ability to integrate across a range of geophysical datasets, with a focus on those sensitive to depth (e.g., magnetotellurics, seismics, or gravity).
- Experience with using downhole technologies, near surface geophysical techniques and petrophysics for geophysical and geological interpretation and inversion in 1-, 2- and 3-D.
- Proven research management experience involving geophysics, geology and petrophysical datasets and interpretation.
- The ability to work effectively as an integral member and/or leader of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, and ability to foster an environment in which there is a high level of co-operation within and between teams.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents and international candidates. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
To enter a CSIRO site, CSIRO will require you to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19 (or show a valid medical exemption from vaccination). If you are unable to meet this requirement, then you must return a negative result on a Rapid Antigen Test (within 48 hours prior to attending site) and wear a face mask whilst on the CSIRO site. These requirements apply if you are attending a CSIRO site as part of a recruitment process.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
09 October 2022, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 09 Oct 2022
- WA - Kensington
- AU$141k to AU$157k pa + up to 15.4% super
- Work Type: