Senior Research Scientist - Cyber Security - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO - Data61 (View other jobs from this organisation)
Senior Research Scientist - Cyber Security
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
Data61 envisions a vibrant and globally competitive Australian cyber security industry with greater resilience to cyber threats in business, to enhance confidence in the digital economy by bringing together exceptional people from research and industry. Data61 is building a network with industries, academic and government communities, both nationally and internationally. Data61 provides a good supporting environment for commercialising research results and building innovation through start-ups and active community engagement. The Senior Research Scientist will have an opportunity to collaborate with Data61 partners within the Australian and international cyber security ecosystem and address the challenging problems in cyber security.
- Join CSIRO - Australia's National Science and Innovation Agency!
- Flexible work arrangements! Mix of home and office.
- Collaborative, flexible, innovative workplace that values you and your career development
The role of the Senior Research Scientist is to lead both strategic and industry projects, and be at the forefront of novel and world class research, leading to reputed international publications in top tier security conferences like IEEE S&P, ACM CCS, NDSS, Usenix Security, Crypto and Eurocrypt. The researcher will also be able to lead and manage a team of junior researchers in the Distributed Security Systems Group within the Software and Computation Science Program.
As the Senior Research Scientist, you will be expected to lead projects, interact with clients and deliver client projects, supervise PhD students independently within the Data61 scholarship programme and contribute to the development of new research areas and ideas.
Your duties will include:
- Carry out innovative, impactful cyber security research of strategic importance to CSIRO Data61 that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Provide leadership in defining new strategic research areas/directions and the development of innovative concepts and ideas for further research.
- Actively lead and participate in strategic and external R&D projects by undertaking project specific research, implementing software, and communicating with internal and external partners.
- Build strategic relationship with Data61 industry and academic partners.
- Work closely with business development group to secure new client projects.
- Interact with clients in a professional manner and deliver client reports on time.
- Attract PhD students and supervise them independently within the Data61 scholarship programme.
- Lead a team of junior researchers.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues within the team, Data61 and across CSIRO.
- Produce high quality scientific and/or engineering papers suitable for publication in quality journals, for client reports and granting of patents.
Location: Melbourne, Sydney, Canberra, Brisbane.
Salary: AU$117,917 to AU$ 131,423 pa (pro-rata for part-time) + up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- Education/Qualifications: A PhD in a relevant discipline area, such as security, privacy or a closely related field or significant work experience in the area of cyber security.
- High level written and oral communication skills demonstrated through publications and collaboration with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, including at national and international conferences, and a range of different audiences.
- Demonstrated high level of experience in conducting research activities and prototype development in cyber security, more specifically in the areas of IoT security, post-quantum cryptography, cloud security, and security in new areas like AI security with the techniques on cryptography, applied cryptography, system and protocol design; evidence from the top tier research publications such as IEEE S&P, ACM CCS, NDSS, Usenix Security, Crypto and Eurocrypt.
- Experience in supervising and mentoring juniors researchers.
- The ability to lead a team as well as work effectively as part of a research team, plus the motivation and discipline to carry out autonomous research.
- A record of science innovation and creativity in the area of cyber security, plus the ability and willingness to incorporate novel ideas and approaches into scientific investigations.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents or you must either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa for the duration of the specified term. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
09th December 2022 11:00pm AEST
Please note: Shortlisting and interviewing may commence before the closing date, so please apply as soon as possible.
- Closing Date:
- 09 Dec 2022
- AU$117,917 to AU$ 131,423 pa (pro-rata for part-time) + up to 15.4% super
- Work Type:
- Full Time/ Part Time
IT & ICT