Principal Software Engineer - Cybersecurity - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO - Data61 (View other jobs from this organisation)
Principal Software Engineer - Cybersecurity
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
CSIRO’s Data61 is the data and digital specialist arm of Australia’s national science agency. Data61 is at the forefront of digital science and innovation, leading both in developing new research as well as working across disciplines and sectors to apply technologies and drive impact. We are home to one of the largest collections of research and development expertise in Artificial Intelligence (AI) and data science globally and host cutting-edge facilities. Our research expertise includes AI, robotics, cybersecurity, modelling and analytics.
- Join CSIRO - Australia's National Science and Innovation Agency!
- Flexible work arrangements! Mix of home and office.
- Collaborative, flexible, innovative workplace that values you and your career development
As the the Principal Software Engineer staff in CSIRO is to collaborate in scientific and technological activities with other research staff usually by assisting with detailed planning, undertaking or assisting with experimental, observational or technology development work, and in carrying out the more practical aspects of the work.
The Principal Software Engineer will work closely with leading Research Scientists and Software Engineers within the Autonomous and Application Security team of the Distributed Systems Security group. They coordinate, lead or participate in innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO with the possibility of novel and important scientific and commercial outcomes.
Your duties will include:
- Hands on delivery of impact from cyber-security research in Data61 to industry, government, and society.
- Design, develop and adapt experimental methods and systems, and software and/or user experience with novel robust artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) algorithms including natural language processing (NLP) techniques against sophisticated cyber-attacks, e.g., malware detection, phishing detection, identity management, vulnerability and threat analysis, risk assessment, etc.
- Develop novel techniques to produce enhanced results, providing researchers with new or improved approaches to research or technological problems in AI and Cyber Security.
- Liaise with clients to determine their needs, address problems promptly and in a constructive manner and take personal responsibility for client satisfaction.
- Set project goals within the Business Unit’s research direction and manage the delivery of project outcomes.
- Apply specialist expertise to solve complex problems within a discipline or across a diverse range of projects.
- Extend existing knowledge of experimental design and/or technology via achievements which facilitate the development of new perspectives in a field, or fields of, research or technology.
Location: Sydney, NSW
Salary: AU$141,949 - AU$153,273 plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- Relevant trade certificate/diploma/bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant work experience in Science, Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology, other relevant field, or equivalent commercial experience in software engineering.
- Solid engineering and software development skills, with experience in writing scalable, high performance, production quality code.
- Proficiency in a wide range of programming languages including Python, Java, C/C++, Go or equivalent.
- Proficiency in using RDBMS and NoSQL such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, Sqlight, MongoDB.
- Proficiency in front end development, especially using node.js, Angular 10+, ReactJS, VueJS or equivalent.
- Experience in using artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) methods, including natural language processing (NLP) software tools and libraries (e.g., Tensorflow, Pytorch, NLTK, etc.) for solving complex problems.
- Familiar with security concepts and the corresponding technologies, e.g., cryptography, network security, computer security, etc.
- Familiar with cloud solutions/providers e.g., OpenStack, AWS, Azure.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents or you must either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa for the duration of the specified term. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
09th December 2022, 11:00pm AEST
Please note: Shortlisting and interviewing for this role may start before the closing date, please submit your application as soon as possible.
- Closing Date:
- 09 Dec 2022
- AU$141,949 - AU$153,273 plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time
IT & ICT