Head of Department (Cytogenetics) - [Archived Advertisement]
Virtus Diagnostics (View other jobs from this organisation)
Head of Department (Cytogenetics)
A rare opportunity to lead Virtus Diagnostics’ Cytogenetics Laboratory in Milton, Brisbane, QLD.
Revolutionising fertility diagnostics and reproductive genetics.
At Virtus Diagnostics, we are entering the most ambitious period in our history - to create a Centre of Excellence in the southern hemisphere that specialises in fertility diagnostics and reproductive genetics. As more people put their trust in our services to ensure the health of their families, we are investing in our future; driving research and innovation to develop our diagnostic capability, maximise fertility potential and improve outcomes.
The roles we recruit today are critical to our success tomorrow. We are building a specialised team of progressive people who are eager to grow their career, challenge the status quo and contribute to a healthier world.
We are seeking an experienced Cytogeneticist to lead our Cytogenetics laboratory team in Spring Hill, Brisbane. We operate one of the largest conventional cytogenetics laboratories in Australia.
Your skills and experience
- Highly desirable but not essential: FHGSA, FFSc, or equivalent clinical scientist qualification
- A degree at Australian Qualifications Framework level 7 with subjects relevant to the field of pathology, or an overseas equivalent
- Experienced in analytical and clinical aspects of conventional cytogenetics. Experience in molecular cytogenetics is highly desirable but not essential.
- Experienced in leading scientists and technicians and overseeing their activities within the laboratory
- Experienced in NATA accreditation, NPAAC guidelines, and relevant ISO standards
- Experienced in laboratory operations, including budget management, staff and resource management, and risk management
- Experienced in developing and maintaining collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders
About the role
- Provide leadership for a team of scientists/technicians
- Supervise all aspects of conventional cytogenetics: tissue culture, cell harvesting, slide preparation and banding, microscope scanning, chromosome analysis, and FISH (Fluorescent In-Situ Hybridization) analysis
- Authorise cytogenetic reports in consultation with clinical scientists and pathologists
- Oversee the evaluation, validation, and documentation of new tests/assays, or improvement of existing tests/assays, in consultation with pathologists
- Oversee laboratory troubleshooting, organisation of lab workflows and rosters, and resolution of other laboratory issues that arise
- Train and mentor junior staff in the department in the clinical and analytical principles, performance, interpretation, reporting, and appropriate billing of laboratory tests
- Coordinate laboratory management and quality meetings and activities as required
- Maintain continuing professional development
- Oversee maintenance of laboratory documents, equipment, and stocks as required
- Conduct annual performance reviews of scientific staff within the department
- Oversee timely testing and submission of external QAP samples, reviewing results, and ensuring pathologist review
- Oversee maintenance of lab QA/QC records and responding to or escalating deviations from the laboratory's established guidelines
- Oversee preparation for NATA and other accreditation visits
- Oversee timely and comprehensive documentation of non-conformances, complaints, and other identifiable risks within the department
- Oversee competency assessment and training of scientists/technicians, ensuring appropriate training record documentation, and providing leadership in their continuing education
- Liaise with referring clinicians as required at pre-analytical, analytical, and post-analytical stages of testing
- Display a high level of written and verbal communication skills
- Display a high level of attention to detail
- Display well-developed interpersonal skills
Salary package range: $150,000 - $180,000 per year (negotiable, experience and qualification dependent)
How to Apply
Email a Cover Letter and your CV to our General Manager of Virtus Diagnostics, Dr Jaysen Knezovich (Jaysen.firstname.lastname@example.org).
For any queries, please call 0416 070 589.
Closing date: 31 March 2023
- Closing Date:
- 31 Mar 2023
- QLD - Milton
- $150,000 - $180,000 per year (negotiable, experience and qualification dependent)
- Work Type:
- Full Time
Health & Medical