Qantas announces restructure
Qantas has announced an extensive restructuring of its airlines business, with changes made to its executive team as it enters the next phase of its five-year transformation plan launched last year.
The restructure will see its Qantas International and Qantas Domestic split into two distinct businesses, each with their own CEO and operational and commercial functions. The new structure will start from 1 July, and both companies will post their financial results separately.
The new Qantas Group Executive Committee is as follows:
- Simon Hickey, CEO Qantas International. Mr Hickey is currently CEO, Qantas Frequent Flyer.
- Lyell Strambi, CEO, Qantas Domestic. Mr Strambi is currently Group Executive, Qantas Airlines Operations.
- Jayne Hrdlicka, CEO, Jetstar Group. Ms Hrdlicka is currently Group Executive, Strategy and Technology. The Strategy and Technology function will move under Chief Financial Officer Gareth Evans.
- Lesley Grant, CEO, Qantas Frequent Flyer. Ms Grant was formerly the Group Executive responsible for developing Qantas’ new international strategy.
- Jon Scriven, Group Executive, People and Office of the CEO.
- Olivia Wirth, Group Executive, Government and Corporate Affairs
- Brett Johnson, General Counsel
- Gareth Evans, Chief Financial Officer
Qantas also announced that Jetstar Group CEO Bruce Buchanan will depart the group, remaining for the next six months to assist transition.
The announcement comes after Qantas shed over 500 heavy maintenance jobs, closing down its Avalon operations to consolidate its Brisbane and Tullamarine operations.