About the Company:
Lifeline Australia is a National Charity providing all Australians experiencing a personal crisis with access to 24-hour Crisis Support and Suicide Prevention Services.
Lifeline is Australia’s largest suicide prevention service with over 40 centres around the nation. There are over 10,000 volunteers and 1,000 employees working to ensure that no person in Australia has to face their darkest moments alone.
Along with community services, Lifeline aims to deliver digital services to Australian people in crisis, wherever they might be and in the mode in which they are most comfortable accessing support. Each year, Lifeline receives almost 1 million contacts from people in crisis.
About the Role:
The Manager – Legal and Risk is a significant role and is responsible for supporting the Lifeline Australia group of companies in meeting its corporate governance and compliance obligations. In this role, / Manager Legal and Risk will support the Executive Director - Governance in the delivery of effective and commercial governance related to matters impacting Lifeline Australia, its Boards, Committees, Executive Leadership Team & companies in the Lifeline Australia Group. This key role ensures that Lifeline performs secretariat functions efficiently and appropriately and that Lifeline meets its statutory and regulatory compliance obligations and that Lifeline’s Officers adhere to the highest levels of probity and good governance. This position will provide expert internal advice and oversight in relation to drafting of commercial contracts and will be responsible for internal contracts management. Whilst also actively providing the secretariat function for the organisation, we also require expertise across governance, procurement and risk.
This position requires experience in commercial law and management of external legal and professional advice on complex and specialist matters (subject to approval by the CEO).
The main responsibilities of the Manager – Legal and Risk include:
- Prepare for and attend Board, Committee, Executive Team meetings, including agendas, board papers, coordination of invitees and presenters, minutes
- Liaison with the Board and key business stakeholders on secretariat matters
- Maintain all company secretarial records (including corporate register and calendars etc)
- Manage all statutory and regulatory notifications to ASIC, ACNC and state/territory bodies (for fundraising licenses and stamp duty exemptions)
- Manage the corporate governance needs and meetings of Lifeline Australia’s controlled entities
- Review and advise on corporate governance policies
- Identify and lead opportunities for improvement of governance processes
- Assist in the review and preparation of annual reports and other public disclosure documents
- Manage key stakeholders including, but not limited to, the Board and Executives and Regulatory Bodies
- Arranging execution of company documents/contracts by the Board
- Project management of Company Secretariat component of AGM.
- Manage the Lifeline Australia Group’s policy framework.
- Draft and/or review contracts, grants, service agreements, service contracts and provide advice to internal stakeholders, ensuring alignment to financial accounting outcomes under AASB15 and AASB1058;
- Provide contract management advice to internal contract managers, including contract variations, performance management, risk mitigation and dispute resolution;
- Maintain Lifeline Australia’s contract, trade mark and compliance registers;
- Ensuring that policies, procedures and practices are in place and routinely reviewed to ensure that Lifeline meets its obligations under Privacy Act. This includes responding to privacy queries from stakeholders (including the general public), and providing advice to Lifeline Australia and its Members;
- Provide advice on the governance requirements for the Internal Audit & Risk functions to ensure that there are robust and effective enterprise wide compliance systems operating within Lifeline Australia that includes (but is not limited to): trade mark; Privacy; Intellectual Property; Contracts; Information Security.
- Procurement policy and governance oversight - you will assist in the development and implementation of contemporary sourcing and social procurement strategies for Lifeline Australia, through collaboratively working with key Government and industry stakeholders, to ensure the achievement of Lifelines procurement objectives.
- Tertiary qualifications in law, commercial contract management, and applied corporate governance studies are advantageous.
- Minimum 5+ years’ experience in a similar corporate role;
- Demonstrated company secretariat experience; and
- Strong understanding of corporate governance issues (related legislation, regulatory requirements and best practice standards) and ability to apply these in a practical manner.
- Competitive remuneration
- Have a real impact on society working for Lifeline Australia
- Lots of variety and opportunities within the organisation
- Career development
- Expand your skill set and excel at a thriving time of transformation.
- Not for Profit Salary sacrificing tax benefits
Apply for this Job:
Interested applicants should submit their application addressing the Essential Requirements and Position Duties together with their resume to Chantal Dalli – HR at firstname.lastname@example.org by COB Wednesday 10 June 2020.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.
Lifeline Australia is an equal opportunity employer.