Drive transformation across our organisation as a senior leader in CityLab, City of Melbourne’s dedicated design-led innovation function
Permanent or Senior Officer Contract
As a leading local government, the City of Melbourne aims to achieve our goal for Melbourne to be a bold, inspirational and sustainable city. Each year we deliver a vast range of projects and programs, designed to ensure we remain one of the world’s most sustainable, accessible and equitable cities.
The City of Melbourne is committed to providing a safe working environment that embraces and values child safety. We actively support diversity, inclusion and flexibility in our workplace and in turn are seeking people who can demonstrate and display our City of Melbourne values of accountability, integrity, courage, respect for self and others, and the desire to strive for excellence. Together we Make the Difference.
How this position will Make the Difference to City of Melbourne…
CityLab exists to ‘make government work better for everyone’. It is a space to prototype and test new ideas and city services with the community and comprises a team, a way of working, physical space and digital presence. CityLab is seen as a role model for visionary thinking, collaboration and experimentation for the City of Melbourne (CoM), our community and external partners.
CityLab team members are looked to as intrapreneurs within the City of Melbourne who challenge our current ways of working; help envisage new possible futures; prototype and experiment with new ideas; and coach and up-skill their colleagues along the way. The team and its partners’ capabilities comprise a combination of human-centred design, agile, open innovation, process excellence and digital skills.
This senior role will provide you with the opportunity to be both strategic and hands on, and will be responsible for leading and managing the delivery of strategic and service design projects for CityLab. You will provide people leadership and will be a strong influential leader to guide, mentor and coach your team.
Working collaboratively with a range of teams across City of Melbourne, you will take a “knowledge transfer” approach to help accelerate and embed new ways of working across the organisation. Design leadership, project management and relationship and stakeholder management are core capabilities of this role.
You can bring… (Selection criteria)
Ability to demonstrate and display City of Melbourne Values – accountability, integrity, courage, respect for self and others, and striving for excellence
- Demonstrated experience forming and leading high-performing multidisciplinary project teams and utilising agile delivery methods in your project delivery approach
- Demonstrated experience (5+ years) leading, developing and delivering human-centred design / service design projects for large organisations. This includes extensive experience leading the planning, delivery and implementation of design research, facilitation, insight synthesis, ideation, concept prototyping, service blueprinting and final output production
- Ability to create a safe space to explore new ideas that respects diverse perspectives, engenders positivity, instils creative confidence in others and favours action-bias
- Proven experience effectively managing complex issues within a highly political, complex environment
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable within a changing environment and delivering high quality outcomes.
How to apply…
Please visit www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/careers and apply online.
The Advertised Close Date and other important information can be found on www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/careers
The City of Melbourne respectfully acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, the Boon Wurrung and Woiwurrung (Wurundjeri) peoples of the Kulin Nation and pays respect to their Elders, past and present. We also recognise the strength and value of Aboriginal people and encourage their applications.
For those interested in working with us, the City of Melbourne offers a great range of benefits. If you have any questions, or for more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org