Senior Research Scientist - Sustainable Farming Systems - [Archived Advertisement]
Senior Research Scientist - Sustainable Farming Systems
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Join the world-class farming systems research program at CSIRO
- Contribute to developing more environmentally sustainable farming systems in Australia and internationally
- Lead and collaborate with industry, government and the community to make a real-world difference
Join the innovative and impact-focused research at CSIRO Agriculture and Food to deliver science and technology that increase the resilience and sustainability of agricultural systems.
As a Senior Research Scientist you will play a leadership role in environmental and economic sustainability of a range of farming systems, including tropical and temperate cropping and livestock farming systems. In this role you will develop science and new business opportunities, and lead a range of projects aimed at improving and benchmarking the sustainability of these farming systems.
Key outcome areas include reducing greenhouse gas footprints and/or water quality impacts and helping build market confidence in the sustainability of these farming systems. These impacts may be achieved either by directly influencing farmer’s management, through guidance to policy, or through contributing to market-based instruments to incentivise changed farm management.
CSIRO’s approach is impact-focussed, and so the role will work closely with industry and stakeholders and will deliver to CSIRO’s Impact targets of Resilient Farming Systems, Improved Footprint and Trusted Supply Chains.
Your duties will include:
- Work with various CSIRO staff to develop and use simulation (e.g. APSIM) and other modelling tools to develop and help implement strategies to increase environmental and economic sustainability diverse farming systems.
- Lead and collaborate in multi-disciplinary research projects with other scientists and support staff across CSIRO and other institutions
- Engage closely with industry and/or community to identify their needs and market directions.
- Conceptualise, develop and test with farmers and other stakeholders novel information systems that can be deployed at broad scale.
- Generate new theoretical perspectives, new ideas and approaches to the above problems that integrate across disciplines to assess sustainability of agricultural systems.
- Publish papers suitable in high quality scientific journals, and present research at relevant industry and academic conferences.
- Adhere to the spirit and practice of CSIRO’s Values, Code of Conduct, Health, Safety and Environment procedures and policy, Diversity initiatives and Zero Harm goals.
- Other duties as directed.
Location: Brisbane/Toowoomba-Forrest Hill Research Station, Queensland
Salary: AU$121,455 -$142,321 plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Indefinite, Full-time
To be considered you will need:
Under CSIRO policy only those who meet all essential criteria can be appointed.
- A PhD (or an equivalent combination of qualifications and research experience) in a relevant field relating to farming systems science that could include agronomy, crop physiology, soil science, natural resource management or related disciplines.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake original, creative and innovative research by generating and pursuing novel ideas and solutions to scientific research problems.
- A demonstrated publication history of authorship on scientific papers in peer reviewed journals and/or reports, grant applications or inventorship on patent applications.
- A proven ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team, plus the motivation and discipline to carry out autonomous activities
- The demonstrated ability to effectively manage a number of competing priorities simultaneously and carry out non-routine tasks under general direction.
- Proven ability to investigate routine problems by identifying and considering the implications of a range of available alternative solutions.
- Possession of an Australian C class (motor car) license (or ability to obtain via an international license).
- Experience and/or demonstrated knowledge of the application of digital agricultural principles and precision farming technologies to influence farmers’ decision making either directly or through market-based instruments.
- Experience and/or demonstrated knowledge of the innovative application and/or development of farming systems simulation models (e.g. APSIM).
- Success in gaining support to fund research projects and capacity to collaborate with key stakeholders including but not limited to farmers, industry partners and research providers.
- Ability to travel to field sites and other locations for short time periods (e.g. 2-10 days).
For full details about this role please view the Position Description.
Applications for this position are open to all candidates.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
Monday 23rd January 2023 AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 23 Jan 2023
- AU$121,455 -$142,321 plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: