Legal Counsel (Property & Procurement) - [Archived Advertisement]
Legal Counsel (Property & Procurement)
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Contribute expert legal support, with a key focus on property and procurement
- An indefinite position, in a flexible and supportive work environment
- Leverage your legal expertise to be a trusted advisor at CSIRO
The Enterprise Legal Team is part of the Governance function within CSIRO’s Operations Group and is responsible for providing strategic legal advice and practical legal support to CSIRO’s Board, Executive, Business Units and Enterprise Support Service.
CSIRO has an opportunity for a Legal Counsel to provide high-quality legal advice in the focus area of property and procurement. You’ll support the requirements of internal clients, taking into account CSIRO’s regulatory compliance obligations and strategic objectives, and use your technical knowledge and experience to deliver accurate and solutions-focused legal services.
If you are an experienced legal professional with strong expertise in property and procurement, this role could be your next challenge. Bring your wealth of knowledge and experience to CSIRO; a purpose-lead organisation creating tomorrow today!
Your duties will include:
- Providing high-quality, pragmatic legal services in relation to a wide range of property and commercial contract (procurement) matters:
- that is accurate, clear, timely, practical, risk and solutions-focused; and
- which takes into account strategic priorities, applicable law and relevant CSIRO and Commonwealth policy considerations.
- Developing an understanding of the business, strategic objectives, external regulators, stakeholders, political context and relevant industry partners.
- Contributing to the ongoing legal education and training of internal clients in legal areas falling within the Enterprise Legal Team practice, including property and commercial contracts (procurement).
- Maintaining confidentiality when dealing with personal and commercially sensitive information.
- Acting as a trusted advisor and generating improved solutions to complex problems and resolving issues efficiently and effectively.
- Other duties as directed.
Location: Canberra or Melbourne candidates preferred, with other locations negotiable.
Salary: AU$121k - AU$142k pa plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Indefinite, Full-time.
To be considered you will need:
- A degree in law from an Australian tertiary institution, or a comparable overseas qualification which is appropriate to the classification and duties of the Legal Counsel role.
- A current Australian practising certificate or entitlement to hold an Australian practising certificate.
- A minimum of approximately 4 years of post-admission experience, in private, in-house and/or government legal practice, in the areas of property and commercial contracts.
- Demonstrated technical legal knowledge and applied post-admission experience in the practice area of property law, including:
- providing legal services for property transactions (e.g. divestments, acquisitions, leases, licences, make-good arrangements, terminations, construction contracts, variations, extensions of time, property disputes and land dealing forms); and
- promoting compliance with relevant legislation, and government and organisational policies relating to property and infrastructure; and
- supporting the development of improved property and infrastructure policies, processes, guidelines, education programs and training materials.
- Demonstrated technical legal knowledge and applied post-admission experience in the practice area of commercial contracts (procurement), including:
- providing legal advice and support to CSIRO staff on commercial contracts relating to the procurement of goods and services including drafting bespoke contractual clauses which are fit-for-purpose taking into account, for example, intellectual property, insurances, warranties, indemnities, privacy and other applicable legislation; and
- providing legal services in relation to contract development and management including to identify, and manage potential risks.
- The ability to work efficiently as a property and commercial contract (procurement) adviser and, in partnership with relevant in-business teams to support the strategic objectives of CSIRO.
- Proven ability to anticipate and manage problems in ambiguous situations, develop appropriate solutions based on thorough evaluation and interpretation, and defend the conclusions with reasoned arguments.
- High-level written and oral communication skills and the capacity to influence critical stakeholders to gain support for new proposals.
- Demonstrated ability to develop strong relationships with internal/external stakeholders.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens and Australian Permanent Residents. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
15th January 2023, 11:00pm AEDT.
- Closing Date:
- 15 Jan 2023
VIC - Black Mountain
ACT - Black Mountain
- AU$121k - AU$142k pa plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
Procurement, Logistics & Supply Chain