Research Group Leader - Green Steel
Research Group Leader - Green Steel
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Lead the India Australia Green Steel Partnership
- Play a key role in implementing the strategy of the Mineral Processing research program
- Opportunity to create a dynamic career path in this exciting role
CSIRO Mineral Resources (CMR) is one of the largest minerals research and development groups globally, with a proud track record in delivering innovation and solutions across the mineral resources value chain. We thrive on innovation harnessed by the diversity of the minds and lived experiences of our team and apply our expert knowledge and specialised research to provide innovation that solves the complex problems faced by minerals companies, mining equipment, technology, and services (METS) companies, government, and other industry stakeholders.
CMR’s Mineral Processing Program is one of the largest mineral processing R&D programs in the world, with ~100 employees, and a long and proud history of undertaking world class R&D with a very strong focus on industrial innovation via technological commercialisation.
The India-Australia Green Steel Partnership (A$21.2m over 5 years) will support innovative technologies and export diversification pathways to deliver jobs of the future to the resources sector in the transition to a low emissions economy. The partnership will leverage CSIRO’s relationships with Australian industry and the Indian Government and Indian industry to support commercialisation of innovative Australian and Indian technology to improve efficiencies and environmental outcomes in steel production. This partnership will help India meet its growing steel requirements, deliver on our shared vision for lowering emissions, and help diversify Australian exports. The Partnership will integrate Indian partners with CSIRO’s Towards Net Zero Mission on the pathway of lower carbon economy.
As the Research Group Leader, you will implement the vision and strategy of the Research Program, the key elements for CMR and the Mineral Processing program being - mission focussed (Towards Net Zero Emissions-Green Steel and Critical Minerals), industry impact, economic returns to CSIRO, and fewer/larger projects.
You will have an important frontline leadership role in CSIRO's Operating Model. As the Group Leader, you will be focused on impact, capability science, collaboration, and people leadership, and play a critical role supporting the Research Director in the management of the Program's portfolio of projects and research staff.
This role will lead the India Australia Green Steel Partnership, announced by the Australian Government in March 2022, and scheduled to conclude on 30 June 2026.
Your Duties and Key Result Areas will include:
- Deliver impact and advance science in the field of Green Steel (or decarbonising the iron and steel value chain) for the mutual benefit of Australia and India, via strong collaborative leadership of the India-Australia Green Steel Partnership.
- Impact Science and Engineering Leadership
- Deliver impact and value to external customers/stakeholders.
- Manage Group projects including planning, prioritisation, review, and delivery.
- Develop an R&D working environment characterised by science excellence, creativity, innovation, and flexibility.
- Capability Leadership
- Strive for ‘Zero Harm’ (physical and psychological) and actively promote a healthy, safe, and environmentally sustainable workplace.
- Attract, develop, and retain world class talent which will meet current and future needs of the BU, Program and Group.
- Build effective teams and manage career development through effective teams.
- Resource Leadership
- Effectively and prudently manage intellectual property assets created and used.
- Manage finance, people, infrastructure/assets, services, and other resources to ensure their effective and efficient use.
- Engagement and Partnerships
- Work collaboratively as part of the Processing Leadership Team and share responsibility for holistic program outcomes.
- Engage deeply and openly with external and internal customers, partners, and other stakeholders to deliver current projects and to identify future potentially impactful collaborative opportunities.
- Develop and maintain national and/or international research collaborations and professional networks to keep abreast of emerging advances in relevant science fields.
- Other duties as directed
Location: Brisbane preferred, Perth, or Melbourne considered
Salary: AU$141k to AU$157k pa + up to 15.4% super
Tenure: 3 year specified term
To be considered you will need:
- A relevant degree in Science, Engineering or equivalent (e.g., Process/Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Metallurgy).
- Established scientific credentials and reputation in the field of mineral processing, with evidence of effective R&D/innovation leadership or equivalent industry experience, leading to positive impacts.
- Demonstrated people leadership with ability to attract, retain, empower, and develop professional talent, to promote their wellbeing and safety, and to foster creativity in multidisciplinary groups of up to 50 staff.
- Demonstrated ability to generate or co-create innovation opportunities, assess competing opportunities, and manage constraints/opportunity costs when deciding to commit resources.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, presentation and negotiation abilities, and the capacity to identify and influence critical stakeholders.
- A demonstrated commitment to health, safety, and wellbeing of staff, willing to challenge the status quo in pursuit of Zero Harm.
- Alignment with CSIRO values (People first, Trusted, Further together, and Making it real)
- A PhD or Masters in a relevant Science or Engineering discipline.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial spirit, especially in relation to the management of ambiguous and complex projects, and commercial agreements that reward contribution and risk taking.
- Excellent mineral industry and innovation ecosystem networks.
- Experience with establishing and maintaining domestic and international partnerships with industrial and academic institutions.
- Expertise in the field of the iron and steel value chain.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
To be eligible to work in CSIRO you must be an Australian/ New Zealand Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa (sponsorship may be provided to eligible candidates).
The successful applicant will be required to obtain a National Police check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
19 August 2022, 11:00 pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 19 Aug 2022
- AU$141k to AU$157k pa + up to 15.4% super
- Work Type:
Mining & Resources