Animal Studies Leader - Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness (ACDP) - [Archived Advertisement]
Animal Studies Leader - Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness (ACDP)
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the areas that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Play an important role in progressing infectious disease research
- Apply high level expertise to research in a microbiologically secure area
- Ensure animal welfare, safety and ethics is paramount to all projects
The Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness (ACDP) is offering an opportunity for a suitably qualified Animal Studies Leader who has a strong interest in the delivery of science relating to infectious zoonotic and animal diseases.
In this key role, you will provide oversight and guidance to three Animal Studies Teams located in PC2, PC3 and PC4 biocontainment facilities. These facilities and teams provide animal research delivery, husbandry and care to ensure that animal usage adheres to the principles of replacement, reduction and refinement. Liaising closely with regulatory entities, you will promote awareness of regulatory issues in the conduct of ethical and responsible animal research, and contribute to QA compliance systems and Animal Ethics proposals. Together with our scientists and collaborators, and drawing on your expertise in animal research and infectious disease, you will make a valuable contribution to research in the area of zoonotic and emergency animal diseases.
If successful, you must meet ACDP microbiological security requirements and other Australian Security requirements, and be willing to be vaccinated against specific agents, as required.
In this role you will:
- Oversee the animal studies teams and projects.
- Support the animal services capability to perform animal studies through guidance on and/or participation in animal studies.
- Oversee the provision of veterinary, husbandry, care and experimental procedures.
- Ensure compliance with Animal Ethics and Welfare guidelines and regulations
- Engage with key stakeholders to ensure success of animal studies.
- Help define the QA standard and quality management system required for Animal Studies.
- Help define and develop suitable animal health monitoring programs.
- Develop appropriate systems to ensure the efficient function and maintenance of ACDP’s animal facilities.
- Support the management of microbiological security through minimisation of risks associated with animal studies.
Location: Geelong – Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness (ACDP), VIC
Salary: AU$141k - AU$157k per annum, plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Indefinite – Full-time
To be considered you will need:
- A veterinary degree (registrable with Veterinary Boards in Australia or registration by examination with an Australian Veterinary Board), or an equivalent combination of qualifications and animal studies research experience in a relevant field.
- Experience leading technical animal teams delivering to diverse range of customers.
- The ability to plan, budget, and manage delivery of scientific projects utilising animals.
- A commitment to the welfare of animals in research including familiarity with the relevant Australian code of practice.
- The ability to lead and manage diverse work teams delivering animal research studies.
- A willingness to undertake hands-on animal handling, husbandry and technical tasks.
To see the full list of criteria for this role, please view the Position Details
- Applications are open to Australian Citizens only.
- The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Clearance or equivalent, and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply online and provide a CV and cover letter outlining your motivations for applying and your suitability for the role, paying particular attention to the requirements outlined in the Position Details.
Thursday 21 July, 2022 (11pm AEST)
We reserve the right to withdraw this ad prior to the closing date.
- Closing Date:
- 21 Jul 2022
- VIC - Geelong
- AU$141k - AU$157k per annum, plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time
Health & Medical