Group Leader - Space Research
Group Leader - Space Research
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the areas that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Lead and deliver impactful space science & technology research
- Strengthen CSIRO’s role and capabilities in space science and space exploration
- Join the CSIRO Space Program and help solve some of Australia’s greatest national challenges!
Picture yourself in this new and exciting leadership role with CSIRO’s Space and Astronomy business unit. Initially, you will focus on establishing a new portfolio of space research activities, including activities initiated under CSIRO’s Space Technology Future Science Platform (Space FSP). The Space Program strives for impact through novel, multi?disciplinary and collaborative science and engineering across CSIRO and externally.
As the Space Research Group Leader, you will design, initiate and lead new research, facilitate multi-disciplinary collaborative space research activities, and support the development of commercial opportunities, consistent with the vision and direction of the Space Program. With application in areas such as small satellite technologies, robotics and communications, you will drive impact, capability science, and people leadership, and support the Space Program Director in the strategic development and management of the Space Program's portfolio of activities.
You will also support the Space Program Director in managing the coordination of space activities across CSIRO, and play an instrumental role in delivering CSIRO’s space sector development activities. Representing the Space Program in domestic and international forums, you will successfully manage and grow external relationships and opportunities for collaboration.
CSIRO Space and Astronomy is committed to providing a safe and inclusive work culture and implementing initiatives to improve diversity and equity within our workplace. This role is offered on a full?time or part?time basis (minimum 0.8 FTE).
Your duties will be focussed in the following four areas:
- Impact science leadership
- Capability leadership
- Research leadership
- Engagement and Partnerships
Location: Marsfield (Sydney) NSW or Canberra, ACT
Other locations may be considered
Salary: AU$141k - AU$157k pa (pro-rata for part-time) + up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
Full-time or Part-time (minimum 0.8 FTE)
To be considered you will have:
- A minimum of Masters-level qualifications in a relevant engineering or applied physics discipline, together with research management experience and/or managerial qualifications; or, managerial qualifications combined with significant experience and depth of understanding of space science and technology from either a research or industry background.
- An established reputation and credibility in space science/technology.
- The ability to lead and manage one or more projects of scale and/or complexity.
- Team leadership and people management skills.
- Evidence of successful strategic engagement and relationship management that grows new science opportunities and/or supports commercial outcomes.
- Strong written communication skills, for example, generating briefs, reports, strategic plans or similar.
To see the full list of duties and criteria for this role, please view the Position Details
- Applications are open to Australian Citizens only.
- The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Clearance or equivalent, and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply online and provide a CV and cover letter outlining your motivations for applying and your suitability for the role, paying particular attention to the requirements outlined in the Position Details.
Sunday 5 June, 2022 (11pm AEST)
We reserve the right to withdraw this ad prior to the closing date.
- Closing Date:
- 05 Jun 2022
- AU$141k - AU$157k pa (pro-rata for part-time) + up to 15.4% super
- Work Type:
- Full Time/ Part Time