Power Systems Lead - [Archived Advertisement]
Power Systems Lead
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our?vision towards reconciliation.
- Do you have drive to transform Australia’s Electrical Power Systems?
- This is your opportunity to lead the Electricity Power System Transformation initiatives within the CSIRO Energy Systems Program
- Challenge your leadership skills as you foster an innovative research community
CSIRO Energy is playing a key role in Australia’s energy transition. With work spanning from energy efficiency in buildings to the operation of electricity systems, the CSIRO team works across a large range of industries and application domains. Our research includes establishing costs of different technology pathways and modelling different future scenarios - this is often a contentious area and the successful candidate will lead stakeholder discussions and communicate this research.
As the Power Systems Lead, you will be responsible for the growth of the Electricity Power System Transformation initiatives within the CSIRO Energy Systems Program.
In this role, you will set CSIRO’s research and development agenda in the area of electricity power systems renewable energy integration, leading major deployment programs with industry partners, securing commercial revenue from CSIRO’s research efforts, and working across the sector to secure agreement on the industry’s future.
Working with industry and government, you will have the opportunity to help transform an entire industry, driving once-in-a-generation change, and guiding billions of dollars of investment.
Applications are invited across two capability levels and the successful candidate will be appointed at the level commensurate with their skills and experience.
Your duties will include:
- Provide thought leadership to Australia’s energy sector, with a clear vision of the challenges that need to be addressed, the changes needed, and the benefits that innovative research and development in this space can deliver to both industry and the wider society.
- Working with some of Australia’s leading energy scientists, lead the development and execution of a commercially valuable program of research and development that addresses key needs and opportunities amidst the transformation in Australia’s energy sector.
- Manage major deployment projects with commercial clients.
- Working with industry, ascertain the key technical, regulatory and customer requirements behind the vision for an affordable, reliable, and low-emissions energy industry. Distil these into packages of work and key steps for research providers, industry partners and broader stakeholders.
- Build significant collaborative relationships with Australian universities and international research organisations.
- Persuasively communicate the transformational challenges facing the sector to a range of stakeholders, from senior decision makers to general consumer.
- Develop a pipeline of major external projects delivering significant revenue. Identify opportunities for research and development projects with leading energy enterprises and agencies that clearly connect proposed solutions to business needs and value.
Location: Newcastle, NSW preferred, other locations negotiable
Salary: CSOF7: $141k to $157k pa + up to 15.4% superannuation
CSOF8: $169k to $212k pa+ up to 15.4% superannuation
*NB: This position is offered across two levels, the appointment level will be determined by the qualifications, skills and relevant experience of the successful candidate
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- Tertiary qualifications with relevant practical experience in the electrical power systems domain, or managerial and/or commercial qualifications and significant experience and depth of science understanding from a research or industry perspective in electrical power systems.
- Significant experience in technical innovation and people leadership in the energy sector, particularly in disruptive technologies, renewables and/or energy grids.
- Demonstrated ability to provide high level strategic and operational leadership - to have a strategic vision and lead a team to deliver upon it.
- Proven ability to engage senior decision makers, present complex proposals in a cogent and persuasive manner and gain support and funding for mutually beneficial initiatives.
- Demonstrated experience in building-up an innovative program of work that delivers revenue for your organisation and impact for the client.
- A network of national and international collaborators in electricity power systems research.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, evidenced by high-level reporting, presentation and negotiation abilities, and the capacity to identify and influence critical stakeholders to gain support for complex proposals/ideas
- An outstanding record of innovation and creativity plus the ability to apply well developed research skills to scientific investigations of significant consequence.
For appointment at the higher salary level (CSOF8), essential criteria will also include:
- World-class reputation and knowledge of Electricity Power Systems challenges and research priorities and recognition as a thought leader
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
To be eligible to work in CSIRO you must be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa (sponsorship may be provided to eligible candidates).
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
17 February 2022, 11:00pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 17 Feb 2022
- CSOF7: $141k to $157k pa; CSOF8: $169k to $212k pa+ up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time