Director, Mineral Resources - [Archived Advertisement]
Director, Mineral Resources
- Set the vision & scientific direction for CSIRO’s Mineral Resources Business Unit
- Use your collaboration & engagement expertise to advance science programs
- Collaborative environment with incredible flexibility and work conditions
Australia’s mining activities, resource companies, technology and services SMEs are a major pillar of the Australian economy. CSIRO Mineral Resources’ purpose is to assist this Australian industry. Our goal is to deliver science and technology options for the discovery and safe, sustainable development of Australia’s mineral endowment, and effectively provide the access to resources that will enable a sustainable planet. The sustainable development of Australia’s resources will require a new wave of technology and translation to industry over our next strategy period, including a greater focus on environmental, social and corporate governance and performance.
As part of the CSIRO Leadership team, the Director will provide the vision, direction and leadership for the Mineral Resources Business Unit. You will actively manage key relationships and collaborations with partners, government and industry to ensure optimal positioning, organisational alignment and science delivery in the national interest. The role requires a visionary leader with experience in managing portfolios of projects and people within the mineral resources research and development domain.
Your duties will include:
- Impact Science Leadership: Long term science impact planning; develop and realise the science vision; deliver outcomes to government, industry and society through application of world class R&D; promote a culture of science excellence, creativity, innovation and flexibility.
- Capability Leadership: Strive for “Zero Harm” through a commitment to a healthy, safe and environmentally sustainable workplace; attract, develop and retain world class talent; empower staff to pursue innovative science and encourage the creative exchange of ideas; model professional behaviour & ensure the Business Unit Leadership Team provides the highest standard of capability leadership; effectively lead change initiatives.
- Engagement & Partnerships: Develop and maintain strategic relationships with key stakeholders, clients and partners to ensure alignment of Business Unit’s activities with the needs of nation; high level national/international level representation to expand opportunities for science discovery and new business; provide trusted advice to government, industry and the community, with particular focus on advice to Ministers and Members of Parliament; drive commercial outcomes; build strategic alliances within the organisation to collaboratively execute CSIRO strategy across lines of business.
- Resource Leadership: Manage the Business Unit's financial resources, people, infrastructure and assets to ensure their effective, efficient and sustainable use; secure a pipeline of opportunities aligned with national priorities that delivers a sustainable financial future; ensure best practice governance and management of commercial activities and intellectual property.
Location: Melbourne, Perth or Brisbane preferred. Other locations may be considered.
Salary: Attractive package offered
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- Established credibility in the Mineral Resources domain with evidence of effective leadership of world-class research capability commensurate with the scale of the Business Unit (300+ staff).
- Evidence of strong engagement skills and strategic relationship management that expands growth opportunities, drives commercial outcomes, and delivers national impact.
- Demonstrated ability to attract, retain, empower and develop world class talent and to promote wellbeing and foster creativity.
- Proven track record in leading a complex, multi-site and large-scale operation including managing financial and physical resources and creating a safe and healthy, inclusive and diverse workplace.
- Exemplary behaviours, and actively promotes cross Business Unit collaboration.
- Experience in public sector or as a key stakeholder working in partnership with public sector, including the Government and Statutory frameworks in which CSIRO operates and relevant legislation is desirable.
- Experience working in a complex R&D environment that encourages cross collaboration, with an in-depth understanding of national and International Innovation Systems (Universities, publicly funded research agencies and CSIRO’s role) would be an advantage.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
To be eligible to work in CSIRO you must be an Australian or New Zealand Citizen or Australian Permanent Resident.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
10 October 2021, 11:00pm AEST/AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 10 Oct 2021
- Work Type:
Mining & Resources