Work at the leading edge of the worldwide electricity system transformation
With world leading uptake of renewable energy, Australia is tackling some of the world’s most complex electrical system integration projects.
Join the challenge with CSIRO – Australia’s National Science Agency – where you will:
- Work in the team at the centre of Australia’s electricity system transformation
- Develop and apply cutting edge solutions to solve real-world problems and deploy these in real grids servicing millions of people
- Collaborate internationally while solving the challenges Australia’s power system is facing – years before most other countries.
- Take your research to commercial success, with the opportunity for start-ups, spinouts or deployment to support major industrial partners.
CSIRO’s work delivers the data and analysis that underpins energy policy and implementation in Australia.
Want to help drive the renewable energy revolution? Join the team!
Australia’s electricity system is leading the world in its transition to a decentralised, low-inertia power grid, with some parts already over 50% renewable energy penetration. Australia is facing system management, operations and modelling challenges before most other countries in the world – creating a range of exciting research opportunities.
Given these opportunities, CSIRO has a range of power system research positions open, working on applied research activities in electrical power systems and energy network modelling and control. These roles will work with a range of partners to take the latest optimisation, simulation and analytical techniques to solve the transition challenges in Australia’s electricity system. You will have the opportunity to build and maintain international networks of research collaborators, deploy your research in to real-world operating systems, and develop new science guiding the world’s energy transition.
To be successful you will need
- Bachelor’s degree and PhD or equivalent relevant work experience in engineering or mathematics, with a focus on power system modelling, optimisation or control
- Extensive experience in electrical generation/distribution/transmission system modelling or optimisation and control
- An enthusiasm for applied research solving current problems to support our commercial partners.
Ideally, you will have experience in:
- Electromagnetic transient simulation (focus on frequency stability, protection schemes, hardware/software in the loop simulation); or
- Power flow, optimal power flow, contingency analysis, reliability management in transmission systems, market clearing, unit commitment; or
- other aspects related to distribution grid modelling (unbalanced power flow, harmonics, ‘smart grid’ customer side device integration).
For details about who to contact and for more information please view Position Description.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
This role will be based at the CSIRO Energy Centre in Newcastle, Australia – the main hub for power systems research within CSIRO.
Take a virtual tour of the Energy Centre here: https://blog.csiro.au/energy-facility-tours/
Newcastle offers a great lifestyle – learn more here: https://www.visitnewcastle.com.au/