- Create a portfolio of new companies through linking market needs with CSIRO Agriculture and Food competencies
- Negotiate complex deals for new and developing products and processes
- Work at the interface of science, business development and commercialisation
As the Deputy Director, Company Creation in CSIRO, you will lead a small, semi-autonomous, agile team at the interface of Business Development & Commercialisation (BD&C) and the Agriculture and Food Business Unit (BU). Aiming to scale the new ‘venture science for equity’ model that was developed for a number of recently created companies such as V2 Foods, the ventures will be opportunity focused, leverage CSIRO’s cross BU transdisciplinary expertise and co-developed with major go-to-market partners. In this senior role you will facilitate the strategic internal disruption of business practice; engaging with venture capitalists and other commercial partners on behalf of CSIRO. Critically, you will have the delegation to develop and approve deals in accordance with the existing CSIRO risk management and governance framework.
Drawing on your understanding and knowledge of CSIRO (&/or similar organisations), you will:
- Facilitate the creation of new companies/entities with significant commercial outcomes for the organisation.
- Identify and exploit venture science research for equity opportunities of strategic significance and negotiate complex deals for new and developing products and processes.
- Launch and develop a portfolio of between 5-10 new companies in the next two years.
- Identify relevant science capability, including complementary capability or technology outside of CSIRO.
- Engage with the Venture Capital community and other commercial partners in the co-development of commercial paths to impact.
- Work collaboratively between BD&C and CSIRO BUs to drive a disruptive, agile venture science model.
- Provide high-level strategic and tactical advice and manage organisational compliance with legal and statutory responsibilities.
- Make representations on behalf of CSIRO to industry and the Government, lobby key influencers and market CSIRO’s capability.
Location: Negotiable - Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne or Brisbane preferred
Salary: AU$162k to AU$204k per annum, plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 2 years
Reference No.: 64282
To be considered you will hold a relevant degree (ideally with postgraduate managerial qualifications) and have a record of achievement in senior advisory and managerial roles. You will also have
- Entrepreneurial and strategic business acumen, with experience in the venture capital start-up space.
- A good understanding of the agriculture and food industry, and its unmet needs.
- A good understanding of science serving the agriculture and food space, and the ability to link business opportunities to science competencies.
- The ability to think quickly, creatively and outside-of-the-box, forge new connections, create new opportunities, mature them, and pitch those to a wide variety of audiences.
- A strong history of establishing and working effectively in teams, and a record of leadership which encourages new ideas, builds trust and provides support for the development of emerging skills.
- A significant record of innovation and creativity.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Clearance or equivalent.
To see all the criteria required for success in this dynamic role, click on the ‘Position Details’ link below. Apply today!
Flexible Work Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
CSIRO’s Commitment to Diversity
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish. D&I Strategy
At CSIRO we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We pride ourselves on hiring the best talent – bold change-makers, imaginative problem solvers and people driven by impact, whose creativity and skills match their enthusiasm for science and innovation.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability for the role and your motivations for applying.
Sunday 12 January, 2020 (11:00pm AEDT)
We reserve the right to withdraw this ad prior to the closing date.