- Are you ready for the next step in your career?
- Use your expert knowledge in Intellectual Property, Technology Commercialisation & R&D legal advice.
- Join CSIRO's Business Development & Commercial legal team today!
This role is part of CSIRO’s Commercial Legal team, a group of ~25 commercial lawyers sitting within CSIRO’s Business Development and Commercial (BD&C) function.
Commercial Legal provides legal advice, negotiation and support to CSIRO delegates across a wide variety of commercial transactions and supports the resolution of commercial disputes.
The broader BD&C function contains other teams of professionals, including business development, commercialisation, IP and contract management staff. Together with Commercial Legal, these teams provide specialist advice and support to help CSIRO’s business units deliver scientific and technological impact for CSIRO’s customers.
Your duties will include
- Legal services: Provide legal, compliance and risk advice to delegates. Support transaction teams to structure, negotiate and settle commercial transactions. Common transaction types include: Intellectual property licensing, assignment, or other IP-related transactions; spin-out, start up and equity transactions; research collaborations and joint venture transactions; and commercial dispute resolution.
- Resource allocation: Participate in the priority-setting of commercial transactions for the business unit(s) you support. Participate in the commercial strategy for those business units. Manage outsourcing of legal work to external law firms where required (noting that the great majority of legal work at CSIRO is performed in-house by CSIRO lawyers).
- Relationship management: Act as a key contact and trusted adviser for the business units you support.
- Team support: Meet regularly with your Team Leader and other Team members. Participate in business improvement and organisational change projects.
Location: Melbourne, VIC, Canberra, ACT, Sydney, NSW, Newcastle, NSW, Other locations with CSIRO presence negotiable
Salary: AU$113k - AU$132k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be successful you will need
- Qualifications: Relevant tertiary qualifications in law; admission as a legal practitioner of the High Court or a Supreme Court of a State or Territory; and a current Australian jurisdiction practising certificate (or evidence of entitlement to hold one).
- Experience: Demonstrated experience working with minimal supervision in a government or commercial legal practice or as part of an in-house legal team.
- Technical skills: Demonstrated expertise in at least three of the following core areas of practice: technology & IP; contract & commercial law; corporate/M&A law; governance & risk.
- Professional conduct: Demonstrated commitment to ethical behaviour and integrity for self, colleagues, stakeholders and customers.
For details about who to contact and for more information please view Position Description
CSIRO’s Commitment to Diversity
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish - D&I Strategy
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
Sunday October 27th, 2019