- Are you an experienced Legal Counsel looking for your next challenge?
- Can you work closely with our science leaders to help execute strategy?
- Join CSIRO's Business Development & Commercial legal team today!
We are seeking to appoint a Senior Legal Counsel (Innovation Start-up Specialist) to be a member of Commercial Legal, a team of commercial lawyers which is fully integrated within CSIRO’s broader Business Development & Commercial (BD&C) function. Commercial Legal provides independent legal advice and support, and contributes to efficient transaction execution.
This role is client-focused with the aim of building “trusted advisor” relationships with internal clients and positive and co-operative relationships with key external customers, effectively negotiating and executing spin-out/start-up/equity transactions, developing, enhancing internal capability and resources in spin-out/start-up/equity transactions.
To be successful in the role you will require precise oral and written communication skills, an attention to detail with a corresponding ability to simplify complex ideas, an ability to manage and lead staff and competing priorities. Your progress and success in the role will be measured by your commitment to strengthening customer relationships and practice improvement as well as your desire to participate in and maintain the strong collegiate culture of Commercial Legal.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Perform professional legal work and provide practical and pragmatic legal advice and documentation of a consistently high quality, tailored to meet the requirements and circumstances of internal clients and promote the strategic objectives of CSIRO.
- Draft and negotiate a broad range of spin-out, start-up and equity transaction documentation (including subscription and shareholder agreements and company constitutions), M&A agreements, corporate and share restructuring documents, joint venture agreements, funding and finance documentation, collaborative agreements and IT and IP agreements.
- Assist and advise internal clients about their compliance obligations with CSIRO policies and governance arrangements.
- Show initiative and influence to build relationships with internal clients and external customers and to position Commercial Legal as a “trusted adviser”.
Location: Canberra, Newcastle, Sydney, Melbourne preferred, other locations negotiable
Salary: $131K - $145K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: 3 years specified term
To be successful you will need:
- A degree in law from an Australian tertiary institution or a comparable overseas qualification.
- A current Australian jurisdiction practising certificate (or evidenced entitlement to hold such a practising certificate) with a minimum of 4 years post admission experience.
- Demonstrated experience of working independently and with minimal supervision leading structuring, due diligence and negotiating and drafting of documentation for a range of spin-out/start-up/equity transactions. This includes new company incorporation, corporate restructurings, share sales/acquisitions, asset sales/acquisitions, option arrangements, employee share ownership plans, company law requirements, public listing rule requirements etc.
- Excellent legal skills and experience in at least two of the following core areas of practice: contract law; commercial law; corporate/M&A; intellectual property; information technology; governance and or risk management.
- Clear and precise written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interest-based negotiation and persuasion skills, with the capacity to identify and influence critical stakeholders to gain support for new or different options, proposals or approaches to problem solving or solutions.
- The ability and willingness to work effectively, supportively and collegiately in a team environment, with the capacity to also work independently with minimal supervision.
To view the full position description and selection criteria for this role please click here: Position description
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Find out more here! Balance
We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate. At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do this by using science and technology to solve real issues. Diversity is the compass that navigates our innovation. We provide an inclusive workplace that respects, values and actively pursues the benefits of a diverse workforce.
How to Apply: Please apply for this position online at https://jobs.csiro.au/ and enter requisition number 56863. You will be required to upload one document only containing both your CV/Resume and cover letter, outlining your motivation and suitability for the role.
Applications Close: Tuesday 7 August 2018